Guilty pleasure: Oscar night.
I love everything about it. The gowns. The speeches. The celeb sitings. The movie clips. The winners. The moments.
Movies matter. Think about all the ones that shaped you. In my Plain Dealer column, I wrote about movies that remind you what's important in life. Here are 25 movies that did it for me:
1. "The Great Escape." It's amazing what can be done in the worst circumstances when you work together.
2. "Field of Dreams." A catch with Dad matters no matter how old you get.
3. "The Shawshank Redemption." Hope is the one thing no one can take from you.
4. "The Mission." Forgiving others has the power to set you free.
5. "The Wizard of Oz." There's no place like home, and it's right here. Click your heels and claim it.
6. "Big." You have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up.
7. "Apollo 13." When things are at their worst, it could actually be your finest hour. With a roll of duct tape and some imagination, you can fix anything.
8. "Singin' in the Rain." As long as there is a song in your heart, it's never a cloudy day.
9. "To Kill a Mockingbird." Even in a world that is unfair and unjust, nobility still matters.
10. "Glory." True power comes from the inside and can never be taken from you.
11. "All About Eve." Love trumps fame.
12. "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" Your family is important; so is knowing when to hold on to them and when to let go.
13. "The Elephant Man." We're all beautiful on the inside.
14. "To Sir, With Love." A teacher can shape you for the rest of your life.
15. "When Harry Met Sally." If you leave your wedding without your best friend, you married the wrong person.
16. "Dead Man Walking." Be the face of love for another.
17. "Citizen Kane." Your childhood shapes you forever.
18. "Chariots of Fire." It doesn't matter if you fall, it matters how fast you rise from the fall.
19. "Defending Your Life." Fear could be the greatest sin of all, the stumbling block that keeps you from experiencing heaven on earth.
20. "Schindler's List." One person can make all the difference in the world.
21. "Dead Poet's Society." Seize the day. Live deeply and fully this moment.
22. "Saving Private Ryan." The ultimate act of love is to lay down your life for someone you don't even know.
23. "Parenthood." Life is messy and one bumpy ride. Hop on the roller coaster anyway. The merry-go-round is for sissies.
24. "City Slickers." Only one thing matters. Find out what it is, and you'll never lose your smile.
25. "Lilies of the Field." Holiness abides in us all. Amen.
What would you put in your top 25?